March 20th will mark the first day of spring for those in the Northern Hemisphere. This day is known by a few names: the Spring Equinox, the Vernal Equinox, or, for those who observe the pagan Wheel of the Year, Ostara.
During the Spring Equinox, the sun moves across the equator and casts equal amounts of sunlight to both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Although specifics will differ across cultures and belief systems, generally the Spring Equinox is thought to usher in a time of rebirth. Metaphysically and spiritually, the Spring Equinox is the perfect time to practice activities, rituals, and magic that focus on renewal, growth, creativity, and balance.
Ways to Celebrate the Spring Equinox
There are many ways you can celebrate the Spring Equinox through both spiritual practices and practical activities. Below are nine ideas for every level of metaphysical interest.
1. Spring (Energy) Cleaning – An oldie but goodie, Spring cleaning can, of course, literally refer to clearing the clutter from your living space, but it can also refer to clearing out negative energy. Tools like herb bundles, sprays, or cleansing crystals can be useful for clearing energy from your space. Practices like meditations, reiki, and bath and body magic can help you release negative energy or align your chakras to give you a feeling of personal renewal.
2. Garden – Connect with nature by nurturing plants, flowers, herbs, and crops of all kinds. If you are interested in the metaphysical properties or spiritual meanings of different plants, this can be a good way to determine what to grow in your garden.
3. Cook – Create a meal using seasonal fruit, vegetables, and herbs. If you are interested in kitchen witchery, you could also incorporate a spring-inspired spell or intention into the cooking process.
4. Altar Work – Decorate your altar with objects from nature or provide them as offerings to deities and spirits. If you want to create an altar for the first time, the Spring Equinox is perfect for new endeavors and projects.
5. Divination – You can use divination tools like pendulums, cards, and casting supplies to spiritually check-in on yourself during the season of rebirth and new beginnings. If you use tools like tarot, oracle, or Lenormand cards, you can find many spreads about rebirth or new beginnings to use for a reading.
6. Arts & Crafts – Channel the inspiration of spring by creating a fairy garden, building a birdhouse, weaving a flower crown, writing a poem, pressing some flowers, or pursuing any sort of artistic endeavor.
7. Magic & Rituals – Magic and rituals relating to growth, release, or balance are going to be particularly powerful during this time. Because the day and night are evenly split during the Spring Equinox, sun and moon rituals will be supported by energetic harmony. This is also a great time to equally examine the light and dark aspects of the self through shadow work.
8. Deities & Nature Spirits – Many cultures, religions, and mythologies have specific deities that are associated with spring. If you work with, or wish to work with, any of these deities, find ways to honor them during the Spring Equinox. You may also want to build a connection with nature spirits during the spring season.
9. Bring Nature to You – There’s no shame in being more of an “indoor cat,” but invite the energy of spring indoors by opening your windows, caring for an indoor plant, or bringing home a bouquet of fresh flowers.
These are just a few of the many ways that you can celebrate the Spring Equinox. Do you have more ideas? Leave us a comment! We would love to hear about how you plan to celebrate.