A Beginner's Guide to Chakras and Auras
When learning about energy and energy work, chakras and auras are two of the most prominent concepts in the metaphysical community. Chakras are powerful energy centers in the body that extend from the base of the spine to the top of the head. There are seven main chakras, each of which governs different physical, emotional, and spiritual energy within us.
The term “chakra” comes from the Sanskrit word “cakra,” meaning “wheel.” Thinking of the chakras as wheels can be beneficial to understanding their purpose. To better visualize how chakras operate within the body, let’s look at the analogy of the water wheel.
The Water Wheel Analogy
As water flows through a water wheel, power is generated. Chakras operate in a similar way; if the energy that flows through the body is akin to the water, chakras are the wheels through which energy flows and creates energetic power centers. There are seven chakras, each of which has a position in the body, a color, and an energetic purpose.
Root – The Root Chakra is located at the base of your spine and is associated with the color red. The energy of the Root is very active and focused on the physical world. The Root contributes to a person’s energy level, vitality, sense of grounding, and feeling of safety.
Sacral – The Sacral Chakra is located in the lower abdomen right below the naval and is associated with the color orange. The energy of the Sacral is very passionate, and contributes to a person’s creativity, sexuality, sense of adventure, and emotional expression.
Solar Plexus – The Solar Plexus Chakra is located between the naval and the ribs and is associated with the color yellow. The energy of the Solar Plexus is optimistic and intellectual. The Solar Plexus contributes to a person’s intellect, playfulness, sense of identity, and will power.
Heart – The Heart Chakra is located in the center of your chest and is associated with the color green. The energy of the Heart is very emotional and loving. The Heart contributes to a person’s inner growth, sense of community, and openness to giving and receiving love.
Throat – The Throat Chakra is located at the base of your neck and is associated with the color blue. The energy of the Throat is expressive, and contributes to a person’s ability to communicate, their confidence, and sense of truth.
Third Eye – The Third Eye Chakra is located between the eyebrows and is associated with the color indigo. The energy of the Third Eye is intuitive, and contributes to a person’s imagination, vision, and psychic abilities.
Crown – The Crown Chakra is located at the top of the head and is associated with the color violet. The energy of the Crown is wise, and contributes to a person’s insight, intuition, clarity, and their connection to spirit.
Chakras are in alignment when they are balanced and unblocked. Chakras are considered balanced when the energy in each chakra is (fairly) evenly distributed. When in alignment, you are able to use the specific type of energy associated with each chakra effectively in your life. Sometimes our chakras will become unbalanced, and this is typically due to what aspects of our life are receiving priority and which aspects are being neglected. For instance, let’s say that John Doe has to pick up extra shifts at work, and this causes John to miss his afternoon meditation for a few weeks. John’s root chakra, or active energy, may be very high, but his crown chakra, or spiritual energy, might be very low. Because these chakras are receiving very uneven amounts of attention, this can cause John to feel off balance. Luckily, you can bring your chakras back into balance by shifting your focus, attitude, and habits. Once John’s work schedule settles down, he may be able to bring meditation back into his schedule to raise the energy in his crown chakra.
Chakras can also become blocked. Going back to our water wheel example, just like water wheels can become stuck, disrupting water flow, chakras can become blocked, disrupting the energy flow, and making it difficult to access the power of the blocked chakra. For instance, if our friend John Doe has a blocked throat chakra, he may struggle to communicate effectively. Unblocking a chakra typically goes beyond just changing your mindset and habits, it also often involves resolving a deeper issue. Why is John struggling to communicate? Maybe it is because John was bullied in the past for his ideas, and now he fears being judged. To unblock his throat chakra, John may need to work through this fear of judgment and practice expressing himself more in his day-to-day life.
Ways to Work with Your Chakras
Whether you are looking to align and balance your chakras, unblock a chakra, or draw on the power of a certain chakra, there are many ways to work with this energy through practices and energetic tools.
1. Reiki – Reiki is an energy healing technique that is performed on a person by a certified reiki practitioner, and is reported as having physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual benefits. With hands just above or lightly touching a client, the reiki practitioner will channel and move energy through the client’s body and chakras. This can align chakras, unblock chakras, release negative energy, reduce tension, lower stress, and provide an overall sense of well-being. Intuitive Reiki is a service offered at Downtown Tarot Company. Visit our Book A Service page to learn more or book an appointment.
2. Meditation – Meditation can be a great way to tune into the energy of your chakras. During a meditation you may want to focus on a specific chakra or go through each one in order, starting at either your Root Chakra or Crown Chakra. If you like visualizations during meditation, pay attention to what colors you see, as this can indicate which chakra you are connecting with.
3. Sound Baths – A sound bath is a practice where musical instruments or singing bowls are used to facilitate a meditative experience. Sound baths are known to be beneficial for relaxation, reducing stress, and relieving anxiety. The frequency of music and sound can also open or align your chakras. Singing bowls are often made to correspond to certain chakras, and some even come in sets of seven for each of the seven chakras. At Downtown Tarot, we have both brass and crystal singing bowls available for purchase.
4. Candles – Fire is an agent of transformation, and so working with candles can help to transform energy. At Downtown Tarot Company, we have Mini Chakra Candles that are intuitively curated to enhance the energy of each chakra. Lighting a Chakra Candle with intention can help you raise and connect with the energy of a chakra.
5. Crystals – Specific crystals can amplify the energies of the different chakras. At Downtown Tarot Company, we offer Chakra Crystal Kits for each of the seven chakras. The crystal kits each feature a combination of crystals specifically chosen to strengthen the energy of each chakra. If you are looking to cleanse the energy of your chakras, fluorite is a crystal known for its ability to cleanse all seven. Crystals can be kept on your person, held during a meditation, placed under your pillow at night, or kept in any space that feels right for you.